Taking care of a house pet, particularly a dog, poses a number of challenges. Sadly, there are some individuals who consider them a liability, especially those who are traumatized by chewed shoes, carpets with fur latched on top and damaged furniture. However, the rewards that one can get from doing so is absolutely priceless. Sure, we all know that dogs make people feel good, but there are actually some people who do not actually know that these animals are capable of doing a lot of other things, including practical and medical benefits, which are:
Dogs keep you active
Since weight and cholesterol complications are very common in the United States (brought about by improper diet), it is essential that an individual lives a healthy lifestyle. Dogs are able to do just that. How?
- Afternoon or morning walks around the park is equally beneficial to both the dog and the owner. It does not only help the dog stay fit, but it also a way for the owner to exercise. Walking is one of the basic exercises and can gradually reduce a lot of calories.
- Playing fetch or Frisbee in the dog park may seem like routine playtime and a great time killer, but it actually is more than that. Like walking, it is both a form of exercise to the dog and the owner.
- Aside from routine play, dogs can be your jogging buddies. There are some dogs that actually run with their owners during morning jogging sessions.
According to a study conducted by the American Journal of Public Health, children with dogs spend time doing some sort of rigorous activity that children who do not. With this, having a dog equates to exercise and exercise is equal to a good health.
Toddlers and young children with dogs tend to have strong immune systems
A lot of parents nowadays worry about having their children exposed to dogs for the fear of developing eczema, allergies and infections. However, in a study conducted by the Journal of Pediatrics, the risk for eczema for children who do not have dogs is higher than those who do not. This is so because when these toddlers are exposed to dogs, the immune system develops antibodies and defenses against these diseases. This does not mean that you should automatically get a dog though, since having one may increase the risk of asthma.
Dogs can fight depression
Having a companion that will love you unconditionally when life takes a wrong turn is very important. You may turn to your family and friends, but even they can turn against you, unlike a dog. Canines are very loyal to their owner – even if you happen to be a jerk to them. Petting them has a soothing effect that will certainly calm down anyone experiencing severe emotional pain.
You will not be alone
Having an dog as a companion is comparable to having a human friend. Socialization and mingling with other people may be an essential part of human life, but having a canine friend fills the void if you happen to be alone most of the time. Also remember these:
- Dogs are great conversation starters. Take your cute pooch out for a walk and you will be surprised at the number of people who will strike up a conversation and admire it.
- Visiting a dog park will let you interact with other dog owners while your pooch is playing with others.
- Dogs are great listeners, though they do not give any feedback. However, sometimes we just need someone to listen to our problems, not give us advice.
Regardless of the breed or type of dog you have, rearing and taking care of them may put some weight on your shoulders, but they will definitely help you carry the load. Remember though, having them is a long-term commitment so make sure to do your best all the time.